3.11.2011

JR'sBig Boy Room: Fabric Bunting Tutorial

I saw this fabric bunting tutorial and I knew it would be perfect for JR's room. It took several trips to the fabric store with JR and then one final trip without him to get the perfect fabrics but I finally found some that I liked. I was just going to pick about four fabrics and use each of them twice but I ended up finding eight different ones.

I searched high and low for my rotary cutter because it allows me to cut more easily and more than one piece at a time if I so desire but my regular fabric scissors would have worked just as well.

Some of my supplies...

I ended up wanting my pennants to be bigger than the pdf on the other site's tutorial so I used the entire length of the short edge of my 1/4 yard of fabric as the top of the pennant and just eyeballed it. The only problem I came across was on my favorite fabric 1/4 yard was not enough to make the pattern run the right direction. Oh well.

The top edge is the connecting one, the right and left sides are the cut edges...

I should have cut them facing sides together to save a step but oh well, it didn't take long to flip them and pin them. Pin the bottom point and then the right and left sides about 3/4 an inch from the top...

Then you will be ready to sew. I used my Pixie craft sewing machine from Singer that I got at a garage sale or something. It had never been used and the price was right so I picked it up but I had never used it until now. It worked great! I don't think I could ever sew anything other than fabric to fabric but it is perfect for my little projects!

Sew from the pin mark on the right side down to the point and then back up to the left pin mark. Make sure at each pin mark you back up and sew over it a couple times. Then you are ready to turn the triangles right side out.  Pull apart the fabric at the tip.

(My camera did some wiggity-wack things in a few of my pics, hope it just needs a new SD card or something...)

Start tucking the tip to the inside...


Find a pen, skewer (or in my case I used some random kitchen tool that came with my knife set and I have no idea what it is for but I have used it for crafts on several occasions) and put it into the tip and start flipping the fabric right side out. Push fabric out one of the holes you left on the right or left top side.

It will look like this...

But my grandmother would never approve of that flat tip so I got a pin and picked it out until it was as pointy as I could get it!

Now at the top where you left two holes on the right and left tuck in the unsewen fabric so it looks like more of a finished edge...

After this it is smooth sailing. You just iron the triangles and then sew about 3/4 an inch from the folded edge across the top (seam will hit the bottom of the holes you just tucked in) and then you are ready to thread the pennants onto your ribbon or cord or twine. I put big beads between each of mine.



This was one of the easiest, fastest projects I have ever done from start to finish. A lot of times tutorials will say how easy stuff is but the people doing them are master sewers and crafters. I always start projects that are supposed to be easy and get burned out half way through but this one wasn't sew! Hehe.

I think I may add some fabric letters that say "JR" to one of the pennants somewhere. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment