3.13.2011

JR's Big Boy Room: Silhouettes

This project was so cute and awesome in my mind and sooooo lame the way it came out. Okay, it isn't really that lame, it was just so much better in my mind and I had built it way up before I even started.

So I ordered some thin adhesive vinyl stickers in white of a dump truck, an earth mover, and a semi-truck. These cost me about $13 total. My original plan was to buy some cute scrap booking paper and apply the stickers there and then frame them. For some reason though in the back of my mind I had this idea just to paint canvases in three different colors and put the stickers on them, and that is what I decided to do.

I bought two different sizes of canvases, just the good old Wal Mart kind, and also a couple of acrylic paint colors I needed.

I painted each of my canvases with just one coat and let them dry to the touch.

I wanted them to have a whitewashed look so after they were dry I painted over them with white acrylic paint and then, remembering a technique I had learned at a class where I painted a custom clock, I just wiped the white paint off with a wet wipe!

I started wiping in the center in a sort of circular patters, I wanted to have more white on the edges and more color in the center.
I even added more white paint to the edges and then wiped again...

Once they were all dry I hated them. Really, I did. I wanted to go back to my original idea of using the scrap booking paper and picture frames. The problem was that I wanted to see what the canvases would look like with the vinyl but those of you who have worked with vinyl before know that it can only be applied once. The other problem was that I had already paid for and painted the canvases, plus the new paint colors I needed for this project and nothing could be returned to pay for the picture frame idea. really I paid under $20 for all those supplies and I am sure I will use the leftovers in the future, but still, I am cheap and I do have a budget!

So I went ahead and applied the stickers. And I applied the dump truck with the canvas laying horizontally when I meant to have that one vertically which made me despise the project even more.  In the end they really did not turn out that bad, I just built up what they could have been so high in my mind that I am disappointed in the results.

So my next projects are to make crib sheets with matching fabric from the bunting and to find a good aqua colored fabric for a new quilt.

Also, What to do with the random space in this cabinet where I tore the fabric out that the old owners had in there. See all those staples and cotton bits? Unless I pull those all out that part is not getting painted! Might have to put more fabric back in there...

1 comment:

  1. I saw your blog on facebook. Love the fun decorating you've done for JR's room, especially the banner. What if you painted the back of that with chalkboard paint (even though you don't want to paint it)? Then it could be an art center.

    ReplyDelete